Career Exploration with Workforce Solutions of Central Texas
Guidance and Tools for
We can provide Virtual Typing Assessments (and others, including MS Word and Excel) via Kenexa Prove It.
CareerOneStop(link is external) is a website that provides a range of career-exploration help:
- Up-do-date information on job salary and benefit information and related education and training opportunities
- Job search tools, resumes, and interview resources, and people and places to help jobseekers virtually, such as When You Leave the Nest (PDF, 8 pages), a guide to exploring careers for youth
Guidance And Counseling
Guidance from Workforce Solutions Employment Specialists can take a variety of forms and may focus on different pieces of career development and employment. Some examples include assistance with:
- writing resumes and cover letters;
- conducting mock interviews and providing support for answering interview questions;
- exploring possible careers and assisting with job, internship, or program searches;
- developing on-the-job skills (soft skills or technical skills);
- modeling behavior, attitudes, or skills in the workplace (job-shadowing); and
- career planning and goal setting.
Tools such as GetMyFuture(link is external), which allows you to search for career opportunities based on past employment experiences, can help people identify future careers that may be available based on their previous work experience.
Texas Reality Check(link is external) will show you how much your living expenses will cost, and the amount of money you will need to earn to pay for them. Using the website’s Lifestyle Calculator, you can walk through the expenses you’ll incur each month and decide how much to spend on your lifestyle.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook can help you find career information on duties, education, and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
My Next Move is a web-based interactive tool from the Labor Department for new job seekers, students, and other career-explorers to learn more about their career options.
A specialized My Next Move for Veterans helps transitioning service members and veterans find careers through keyword search, by browsing industries that employ different types of workers, or by discovering civilian careers that are similar to their military MOS.
¿Hablas español? Mi Próximo Paso is a version of the ‘My Next Move’ tool for Spanish-language speakers.
Labor Market Information
The following Target Occupations(PDF, 2 pages) are critical to the Central Texas region’s economic future. They employ large numbers of workers, are typically fast-growing, pay above average wages, and are part of the Central Texas Workforce Board Strategic Plan(PDF, 109 pages) in which you can find career progression ladders for each occupation.
We're Here To Help
The Workforce Solutions of Central Texas System is an equal opportunity employer/programs. Equal Opportunity is the Law. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to people with disabilities.
Relay Texas: 711 | TDD: 1-800-735-2989 | Voice: 1-800-735-2988